Sunday, May 3, 2009

Viva La Fifi!

                                                    

Until I have permission from other artists to show their images, I'll just show you another of mine. 

For every magician there is a final show, for every magician's assistant; a final rehearsal, and for every magician's dove; a final flight. 
This is a detail from a painting I did while living in New Orleans, and while grieving my father's death. It's called Fifi's Finale.
My father was a stage magician, apprenticed to Harry Blackstone Senior. We performed together, and it's taking me years to come to terms with losing him.

I read a book called the Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett a few years ago. There was a quote from the book on the inside leaf, that has stuck with me, because it really defined my adult life quandary. It read, "...and what becomes of the magician's assistant after the magician dies?"
I still have not answered that question, but somehow, "assisting" Fifi's flight through the hoop for her final time, helped me gain a little closure.

Viva La Fifi!

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous painting & fascinating post. Do you have a pic of the full painting anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I did! That picture file went the way of many of my old files after Katrina. I think the original photo was actually something I had scanned, and it was lost. Perhaps one day it will still surface in my things, but thanks for the nice comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a really cool painting! Post more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well :) As soon as I work up another head of steam :)

    ha ha..get it ? Steam from a steamie? ha ha ...no really, let me go find my coal shovel...

    ReplyDelete